<VV> they don't show you everything

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 23:20:55 EDT 2005

===== Sure, we've heard about 85 mpg carburetors and
other
> pie-in-the-sky scams,
> but we were smart enough to laugh it off.====
> RonH

Ron,
Not me.
I don't buy the magazine ads you see from someone who
wants you to bolt on what looks like an in-line filter
and expect your current carb to give you twice the
mileage, no more than I trust  "Use our chome oil
breather cap and get 15% more power." As new drivers,
we
went through the old Warshawski's catalog and did the
math. A 36hp Volkswagon could develop 260hp using
their bolt-on superchromyspeeders.
Some science: ideal fuel mixture is 14-to-1. We're not
close because of the technical difficulties of
building systems that reliably provide it, plus build
a cost-efficient engine to handle all that heat. We
don't build systems that take a fuels engineer to
operate. Suzie has to cruise off to Pilates class at
all altitudes and temperatures without  understanding
and analyzing monitoring systems.
I do believed it is highly likely that an oil company
would crush some inventor who figured out how to build
a carb that eliminated inefficiencies and get sterling
gas mileage. Double mileage means you sell half the
gas.  Oil companies don't want you to get 60 mpg. The
execs would have to get used to lighting their cigars
with $500 bills instead of $1000.
Look what happened to Tucker. He built highly advanced
cars and the big mfgs. used the government to crush
him.
By the way, if you saw the movie, there was a panning
shot of the engine parts laid out on the bench. Maybe
other parts as well, but the block (for movie
purposes) was Corvair.
More than anything else, the engineers design and try
all sorts of  stuff you will never, ever, ever hear
about, let alone see in production.  The moon, Ron, is
not made of green cheese. We know this because we went
there, even if someone thought it was a pie-in-the-sky
scam 50 years ago.

Chuck Kubin