Frank Admits Re: <VV> If the General says...NO CORVAIR

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 13:52:30 EDT 2005

Dennis and V Vers,
    Yes, now that "the secret is out" I have to confess that son Jim has
"liberated" that carb from Delphi and adapted it to get 60+ mpg on his Corvair.
So at the Buffalo area Convention in 2006, we'll wipe out you guys in the
economy run!!!
    If you believe this, then I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I'll be glad
to sell you.<GGGGG>
    Seriously, if the General had any such device it would long ago have
appeared on GM cars to trump the competition AND placate the Feds in their never
ending quest for better fuel economy to reduce our OVERWHELMING dependence on
imported oil (60% of our oil is imported and that number is steadily
increasing).
    Changing the A/F ratio has little to do with major improvements in fuel
economy.  The precise control afforded by computer controlled fuel injection
has certainly helped a bit.  But as long as our internal combustion engines
THROW AWAY over 2/3 of the energy in the gasoline we use by wasting it into the
exhaust gas and the engine cooling system (whether air or liquid) they won't
make major gains in fuel efficiency.
    Certainly changing our fuel from straight gasoline to mixtures of it with
ethanol or methanol could lessen our dependence on imported oil.  However,
the economics for doing so are very questionable since these alcohols have
considerably LOWER energy content than gasoline and require considerable
subsidizing by the government (i.e. taxpayer $$$) to even BEGIN to make them cost
competitive to gasoline.
    As far as hybrids go, they can certainly improve gas tank mileage,
particularly in city driving.  But just how long will the batteries last and how
many thousands of $$$ will it cost to replace them?  And for those thinking of
"plugging in" their hybrid overnight to restore the charge on the batteries, in
my area of NJ gasoline cost is only 56% of the equivalent house electricity
cost on an energy basis.
    Not an easy problem to solve, folks.
    Frank "pedantically" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/17/05 9:56:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,