<VV> Model name question (Non-Corvair)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 19 17:08:28 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/19/2005 1:49:29 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
emills5 at cfl.rr.com writes:

Back in  the late 50's and early 60's Renault sold a couple of different
models of  cars.  One was called a dauphine (sp) or something like that.  What
was the other one, and which one was the larger of the two.  If I  remember
correctly the larger one was a four door and the smaller one a lower  powered 2
door.  Both rear engine.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa,  Fl.

The Dauphine ( Larry Claypool called his the Dope Fiend!) was the larger
(relatively) 4-door Sedan. The nice looking 2-door was the Caravelle. Both  had
pretty much the same drivetrain and swing axle rear suspension. I delivered
drugs for Crow Pharmacy in Palo Alto (Not dealed, just delivered!) with a
Renault Dauphine. It had a 4-speed shifter on the floor. A true guess-a-gear  model
that trained me well for shifting loose bushing Corvair floor shifters. It
had a roof mounted sign that swung around with the pivot point near the front
of  the roof. I got good at setting the sign spinning so that I could just
about  cold-cock any passenger getting out of the car, not that I was supposed to
carry  anybody else during work. I'm damn lucky I didn't kill myself. A far
cry from  that one to Fernando Alonzo's F1 ride! - Seth Emerson