<VV> Strange Engine Question

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Wed Apr 20 16:36:01 EDT 2005

Here's one that never occurred to me until I spent a couple of hours
cleaning a gum-like substance out of the (bottom of the) intake manifold of
a head I just acquiired:
     Is there any position of the Corvair cam in which ALL the intake valves
of a bank are closed at the same time? This obviously will require not only
intricate knowledge of the Corvair's valve-lift profile, but of its phasing
among cylinders. I THINK the donor engine must have been parked this way for
a year or more before my head was removed. The other head (I THINK it's from
the same engine) does not have this deposit. I would assume that if all the
intake valves of one bank were closed, then at least one, perhaps all three,
of those on the other bank would be at least partially open.
     The heads (and presumably cam) are 1966 140hp.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C