<VV> Artzberger on Painted Hexes

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Thu Apr 21 11:44:32 EDT 2005

Kirby Smith wrote:

> Generally, for automotive body (steel) painting, one cleans the surface of
> grease with a suitable degreaser, cleans with a phosphoric acid etch,
> passivates with zinc phosphate mix, then primes.

A little known fact is that if you paint bare mild steel with the phosphate
etch (what I use is the thinners for the etch primer we use), the metal
doesn't rust - even in our damp climate.

I bare-metalled a car last summer and then ran out of time and weather to
paint it, so I brushed it with the etch thinners and there is NO RUST at
all - not even surface rust.

I will be able to paint it shortly with just a modicum of re-preparation.

Cheers

Alan