<VV> EM auto to a stick

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Apr 22 14:07:11 EDT 2005

You might want to check the VV archives, this one (exactly the same years
involved) came up a couple of months ago on VV and was discussed  extensively
and I wrote about it in the "Techlines" column of the  Communique just after
that.

Here's the short story.  It's not too bad but there are lots of  little
pieces to put in.  Here's a list of the big stuff.  I won't  mention the little
clips and grommets
Diff should be '64 style to permit use of the transverse spring
Any matching clutch set (flat finger/bent finger PP, flat/stepped  flywheel,
long/shortTO)
Pilot bearing
Bellhousing appropriate for your engine (164 cid different than 145  cid)
Rear suspension subframe must be changed or modified to accept longer
transmission
Any 61-65 4-sp trans, though 64-5 has better ratios and durability
Trans support bracket
Clutch pedal mechanism, TO to foot (lotsa pieces)
Shifter mechanism, hand to trans
Throttle bracket at trans
MT style dash trim plate

Hope that helps,
Craig Nicol
<snip>
I have a question. I have a '64 auto almost ready for the road. The other day
I  was looking at my '63 conv. and thinking the four speed would be really
nice to  have in the '64. My question is how complicated and how long would it
take to  transfer everything over to make the auto into a 4 speed? I already
know I would  have to get a '64 transaxle. Thanx in advance.<unsnip>