<VV> RE: 64 radio question

mopar at jbcs2.net mopar at jbcs2.net
Fri Apr 22 14:59:59 EDT 2005

Yes, it is a removeable part. If I were you I would remove the original as
it "matches" the rest of the dash, and find a different one on e-bay or
from one of our vendors........then have at it......
Gary Swiatowy

  From: Tim Verthein <minoxphotographer at yahoo.com>
Subject: <VV> 1964 Radio Question

So..the trusty AM radio in my '64 Monza is "questionable". I works but
not well.  I could personally rebuilt it and reinstall it. BUT.....Up
here in the North Country....AM means choice of two stations.....the
one I work for, and the competition talk show station 40 miles away.
So..I *was* gonna put in an AM/FM cassette....got one with adjustable
shafts that I can make fit the original dash opening/faceplate with no
mods to the dash.

BUT! Then I discovered..that it appears that the part of the dash in
which the radio is mounted is simply bolted to the underside of the
main dash. Right? Like..if you bought a '64 without a radio this whole
assembly that the radio goes into wouldn't ever BE there, right?
See...my problem is...I'd *like* to put in a CD player IN THE DASH (I
HATE remote players) but I didn't want to because it would require
cutting up the dash where the stock radio goes.  But if this part is
something that can be removed and replaced with an un butchered one,
I'd do it! make sense? I imagine the Corvair Ranch or some such would
have a radio mount or whatever the heck it is called, from a parted car
that I could pick up..should I ever want to put the stock radio back
in.  Make sense?

Tim
64 Monza 110 4 speed
"Screaming Yellow Zonker"