<VV> '64 Radio Question--speaker

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 23:46:38 EDT 2005

Our 64 'vert has a perfectly functioning original AM
radio, but the problem is that today AM radio in
central Florida is populated by 1) broadcasters
screaming in Spanish or 2) broadcasters screaming to
save your everlasting soul. Neither is good listening.

Another part of the equation is the high ambient noise
level --- wind, the comforting roar of the fan in the
rear, the equally comforting exhaust note provided by
the dual Thrush mufflers.

Then, there's the fact that our ears aren't capable of
hearing those neat high frequencies any more.

Solution: a $21 Wal Mart AM/FM/Casette radio slung
under the existing radio box. A pair of 5.5" co-axial
speakers snuggled where the original speaker lived.

No thoughts of stereo separation (what would be the
point?), no mega bass (mufflers provide that), no
supertweeters (who can hear 'em?). But, we do have FM
which in our case means PBS (except for Saturday
afternoons when the play opera), and it's loud enough
to hear, and the preachers and the Spaniards are few
and far between. When all else fails that old cassette
of Oscar Brand's Bawdy Songs and Backroom Ballads will
suffice. And, best of all, when some annoying kid
playing rap music full blast with his super woofers
and whatall is next to us at a light we can always pop
in our favorite bagpipe tape.

Arjay Morgan
63 Monza Convert
in Beautiful, Downtown, Zephyrhills, FL