<VV> Corvairs really are "unsafe at any speed", even sitting still.

JRVIDRINE at aol.com JRVIDRINE at aol.com
Sat Apr 23 18:10:33 EDT 2005

Folks,

Actually that's not true, it's the owners who can be unsafe.  I just wanted
to pass on a mishap that happened to me last Friday evening (April 15th) while
working on my 62 Monza Coupe.  Hopefully this will be a safety alert to the
group.  My purpose in working on the car was to get it ready for a trip the car
club I belong to was taking today (April 23rd).  They were driving up to
Forrest Hill, LA to visit a sawmill museum with a working steam boiler, engines and
machine shop which supported the enterprise.  They were also having antique
tractors and cars there.

While I was working on the car I was using a "creeper."  You know, just like
the one you probably have.  I've always been aware they pose a danger and made
it a practice when not using it (whenever I wasn't on it), to roll it under
the car.  Anyhow, I had rolled it under the car but, either not far enough
under the car, or my little terrier dog (who loves to lay on the padded cushion)
may have gotten on it which could have moved it.

In walking from the rear of the car to the front my left foot stepped on the
creeper.  It went out and I came down on my right ankle like a ton of bricks
(or at least 230 lbs worth).  I knew instantly that I had fractured the ankle
and sure enough that is the case.  I will be in this cast for at least 5 more
weeks and the worse part is not being able to finish the work, missing the tour
and suspending work on the Corvair until I heal up.

In the future, I will never leave a creeper horizontally on its wheels unless
I'm laying on it.  If I'm not on it, it will be standing on it's end on the
wall or on it's hook on the wall (which is where it goes when the job is done).
 Just wanted to pass this on in the hope that it will perhaps keep one of you
from suffering the same mistake.

Randy Vidrine
62 Monza Coupe
Branch, LA