<VV> 1st problem - fixed!

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Sat Apr 23 21:45:09 EDT 2005

Well my 65 convertible that survived the harrowing trailer trip last weekend had its first problem - but I fixed it!

I took it to work to show it off and when I went to start it to go home, nothing.  Just a half hearted crank and nothing.  So I push started it (it took 2 tries, it's been so long since I've done it I forgot to turn the key to "on") and drove it home.  Well I spent a day pondering what could be wrong figuring it was the alternator or regulator.  I started doing the diagnostics described in the shop manual and when I tried to jumper the "F" terminal I found there was no "F" terminal.  I used a mirror to peek in the socket and saw that the "F" tab had been pushed up when the plug was put in.  I bent it back down, carefully put the plug in, took it for a drive and hurray!  It's fixed! For FREE!!!  I love my Corvair.

mike