<VV> Re: GREAT RACE with limited Corvair content

vairtec at optonline.net vairtec at optonline.net
Sun Apr 24 17:45:51 EDT 2005

Early in the Great Race history, it was running a route that took it
through Pennsylvania at the same time that I was working as track announcer
for the United State Auto Club midget series.  I was following a midsummer
five-races-in-five-days schedule in my Greenbrier, which was also my
hotel.  En route from the historic Williams Grove Speedway in Pennsylvania
to the next event (at which track I can no longer remember), several of the
Great Race participants passed in the opposite direction.

One of the participants that year was a massive old fire truck.  I have no
idea how large the cylinders in this vehicle's engine were, but my estimate
is "five gallons each."  I as drove in my Greenbrier on the Interstate
highway, I could not only see the fire truck approaching, but I could hear
it and I could FEEL it!  I was astounded at the sound and the vibrations
from a single vehicle on the other side of a grassy median, when I myself
was hardly in a quiet machine.  Neat experience!

--Bob
Robert W. Marlow
Vairtec at optonline.net