<VV> Weber DCOE questions

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 12:05:49 EDT 2005

It sounds low by about 5 mpg.  You didn't mention how FAST you were  driving
though! <GGG>.  I suggest purchasing an air-fuel ratio gauge,  such as the
Edelbrock one that I use. They're designed for permanent  installation, but I
wired mine with a long "out the window" type lead for  temporary use.  You will
need to install an O2 sensor in the exhaust, this  involves drilling a hole in
the exhaust pipe and welding-in a bung.   When you move the setup to another
car, you can plug the hole with a Dorman  replacement oil-drain plug (I have
the number).  At cruise, you should be  15:1 or 15.5:1.  Under load 12.5 to
13.5:1 gives you max power.  There  are two weaknesses to my AFR gauge: 1)
Carburetor systems are pretty jumpy and  the gauge jumps right with them.  You kinda
have to average the readings  "in your head". 2) This particular gauge ends at
15:1, so you have to approach  the "cruise" reading carefully - looking for
some excursion into the 14.5 range  and occasional blinking of the 15:1 light
is what I do.   I have set a  bunch of cars with this gauge and it's amazing
how far off "feels pretty good"  can be, especially when the system is erring to
the "rich" side, which I'm sure  yours is.  When I got my $135 gauge, I
"shared" the cost by renting it to  club members at $20 each.  Everybody was happy
and I ended up spending only  about $40 for it.
Have fun and watch out for officer doughnut!
Craig Nicol

<snip>Anyone out there have any experience with a Weber DCOE  setup for a
turbo? I
have one that starts easy, idles smooth, and runs great  with ample boost My
only question at this point is the mileage. Mine is  around 15 at best with
most of my driving is on the highway. My diffy is a  3:55 coupled to a 65 4
speed. Is this close to what it should be or am I way  off? I checked it last
week so I avoided getting into boost as often as I  usually do. Except for a
little black smoke when I'm pushing that manifold  pressure gauge to the +,
it is set pretty well.  <unsnip>