<VV> Weber DCOE questions

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Mon Apr 25 16:44:11 EDT 2005

17MPG I can believe, 20 sounds like both ways to work downhill.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of NicolCS at aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 25, 2005 12:06 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org; PVanderl at mwestmp.com
Subject: <VV> Weber DCOE questions

It sounds low by about 5 mpg.  You didn't mention how FAST you were
driving though! <GGG>.  I suggest purchasing an air-fuel ratio gauge,
such as the Edelbrock one that I use. They're designed for permanent
installation, but I wired mine with a long "out the window" type lead
for  temporary use.  You will need to install an O2 sensor in the
exhaust, this  involves drilling a hole in
the exhaust pipe and welding-in a bung.   When you move the setup to
another
car, you can plug the hole with a Dorman  replacement oil-drain plug (I
have the number).  At cruise, you should be  15:1 or 15.5:1.  Under load
13.5:1 gives you max power.  There  are two weaknesses to my AFR gauge:
1) Carburetor systems are pretty jumpy and  the gauge jumps right with
them.  You kinda have to average the readings  "in your head". 2) This
particular gauge ends at 15:1, so you have to approach  the "cruise"
reading carefully - looking for some excursion into the 14.5 range  and
occasional blinking of the 15:1 light
is what I do.   I have set a  bunch of cars with this gauge and it's
amazing
how far off "feels pretty good"  can be, especially when the system is
erring to the "rich" side, which I'm sure  yours is.  When I got my $135
gauge, I "shared" the cost by renting it to  club members at $20 each.
Everybody was happy and I ended up spending only  about $40 for it.
Have fun and watch out for officer doughnut!
Craig Nicol

<snip>Anyone out there have any experience with a Weber DCOE  setup for
a turbo? I have one that starts easy, idles smooth, and runs great  with
ample boost My only question at this point is the mileage. Mine is
around 15 at best with most of my driving is on the highway. My diffy is
a  3:55 coupled to a 65 4 speed. Is this close to what it should be or
am I way  off? I checked it last week so I avoided getting into boost as
often as I  usually do. Except for a little black smoke when I'm pushing
that manifold  pressure gauge to the +, it is set pretty well.  <unsnip>

are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/
Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org