Improving Mileage Re: <VV> Weber DCOE questions

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Apr 26 13:42:30 EDT 2005

Pat,
    If you're looking to improve the gas mileage of a street driven Corvair
turbo engine, the best way is to convert the stock pressure retard on the
distributor to provide vacuum advance.  When I did this on my 180 that was being
driven daily to work and back, my mileage went up from 18 mpg to 22 mpg and I
wasn't driving to get good mileage, but with a heavy foot to get to work on
time.(:-)
    Details on how to do this are explained in the Turbocharging chapter of
the Corvair Basics Manual.  The stock 180 engine has a FIXED timing advance up
to 4000 rpm OR until boost is achieved, so obviously it can't achieve anywhere
it's mileage potential.  Just remember, you still need to keep some method of
providing timing retard under boost pressure.
    As a side benefit, you'll find that vacuum advance gives improved part
throttle acceleration as well as improved mileage and is an ideal combination
for street driving just as it is in normally aspirated (non-turbocharged)
Corvairs.
    Or you could always ask the winner of the Economy Run at the last
Convention in Lexington, KY.  His TURBO Corvair got over 40 mpg.!!!!!
    Frank "stock is a good beginning" Burkhard

In a message dated 4/25/05 8:57:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,