<VV> weght canisters

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Apr 27 04:04:23 EDT 2005

At 03:55 hours 04/26/2005, rocky gannon wrote:
>I was looking at the pre puchase checklist just now and  in the special
>section regarding convertables there was apoint concerning weight
>canisters.  Apparently they help keep convertables steady and are found at
>each corner of the car, in the trunk and in the engine compartment.   I
>have never heard of these before and was wondering what they  looked like.
>
>I have been checking out the  64 vert of Craig Pursley  on  line.  He has
>some pictures of the trunk ..so  I don't think i can see any weight containers.

They're not weights per se.    They're flex dampers.   They are actually
"shock absorbers" which are cylinders filled with oil and contain spring
loaded pistons which damp out harmonic body flex in convertibles.    These
dampers were used in late Corvair convertibles and in first generation
Camaro and Firebird convertibles which of course share a similar
platform/body as the late Vair.

They're intended to limit axial body twist/flex which can result in
cracking of the A and B pillar joints which is a bit of a problem with late
convertibles.

Early Vair convertibles were rigid enough to not require them.

tony..