<VV> slippery phish

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 18:15:06 EDT 2005

------Instead, they are supposed to use the far less offensive term "number cube".
Who thinks of this crap?-------
Crap...craps...I just got it!

------It's called "phishing" and we get them all the time too.-------

There's a couple sure giveaways. For starts, never provide personal information to ANY entity that either shoudn't need it or already have it. I got the EBay one twice, and both times they wanted my credit card number AND the PIN. How damned stupid is that, and how damned stupid would I have to be to give them both keys to my credit card?

I've gotten them from banks, usually from banks I don't use. Think about it--why would your bank send you a notice asking for your account number? Who knows it better than them, and why would you have to "verify" anything they already would have, it they were legit?

I also got a handful from Paypal, telling me they suspect my "account has been compromised" and asking for much the same info. The first time I followed the link to an unrelated advertising company's site that gave me a phone number. The manager was VERY interested in getting a copy of the notice. I didn't tell him I also contacted Yahoo, EBay and Paypal's cops, on the chance HE sent the bogus mail.

It is oh so very easy to copy graphics, signatures and other bits from legit companies' mail and paste it into fraudulent emails.  Doubt everything, and never send them anything.  Bob's right: if it is real, you are getting letters (mail fraud has serious penalties. Internet fraud laws are virtually nowhere). Most banks won't even call, because people are more aware of scams. Call them if you have a question, and be sure to save and report what you recieved to the LEGIT authorities.

Chuck Kubin