Fwd: <VV> Steer Me

HallGrenn at aol.com HallGrenn at aol.com
Fri Apr 29 11:44:14 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/29/2005 9:46:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
NicolCS at aol.com writes:

> I'm  sure that you
> are already aware that the steering column support under the dash  is
> different on the '69 column - you'll have to get a little creative  there.

I'll second Craig on everything as I tried to convert a '65 Conv. to a '68
column and box.  I discovered the hard way that the peddle assembly was offset
for the larger column (I had to go back to the junkyard and find another car to
get the parts).  I decided that a '66 box and column conversion made more
sense (the '65 was an early with the long shaft out of the steering box) than the
collapsible column when I became concerned that the three bolt dash support
from the late late cars might not be as strong as it should be when welded in.
If it isn't as strong as it needs to be then it will break loose in an
accident and the accordion part of the lower shaft won't deform as it should.
Instead of pushing against the column support bracket the lower column/steering box
will be pushing against your chest and face.  The column is designed to
collapse two ways--to absorb collision forces between the steering box and dash
column support and to absorb your body against the column support and steering
wheel.  The successful two way action can only work when the column support at
the dash is solid enough to absorb forces from both directions.

Bob Hall
Group Corvair