<VV> Still Steering

Tom Wright tomsmail at sympatico.ca
Fri Apr 29 21:12:07 EDT 2005

[snip]>
I'll second Craig on everything as I tried to convert a '65 Conv. to a '68
column and box.  I discovered the hard way that the peddle assembly was offset
for the larger column (I had to go back to the junkyard and find another car to
get the parts).  I decided that a '66 box and column conversion made more
sense (the '65 was an early with the long shaft out of the steering box) than the
collapsible column when I became concerned that the three bolt dash support
from the late late cars might not be as strong as it should be when welded in.
If it isn't as strong as it needs to be then it will break loose in an
accident and the accordion part of the lower shaft won't deform as it should.
Instead of pushing against the column support bracket the lower column/steering box
will be pushing against your chest and face.  The column is designed to
collapse two ways--to absorb collision forces between the steering box and dash
column support and to absorb your body against the column support and steering
wheel.  The successful two way action can only work when the column support at
the dash is solid enough to absorb forces from both directions.[snip]

Thanks to all for the notes and help on this project.

It didn't occur to me that the pedals may pose a clearance problem. I spent last night fitting the column in. I noticed the original column was shaped to fit the contour of the dash where the support held it in. I 'massaged' the new column to fit a bit better. Took a few tries, but, as I was not aware that it shouldn't fit, I managed to get it in place and line up with the box. I have not rechecked everything or completed a final fit, but so far everything is clamped in place. There is a small gap between the under dash column mount and the dash, but I will use this to weld reinforcing to the column.

http://www.vaxxine.com/tomspage/columntodash1.jpg

http://www.vaxxine.com/tomspage/columntofloor1.jpg

http://www.vaxxine.com/tomspage/columntofloor2.jpg

The floor mount is the same bolt pattern, but with larger holes to adjust the column position. I see a problem with the plate assembly (the thick steel cup thing that the column bolts to outside the floor). It needs to be enlarged where the shaft comes out, as the original shaft was smaller than this one. One thing I don't understand is why this plate does not have a drain hole, as I am sure it will trap and hold moisture or dirt.

I thought about the under dash mount being strong enough to hold the wheel. I will revisit that part of the mount, but I thought that it must be as strong as the original was, and I may be able to improve it a bit. I was more worried about steering wheel flex, as the column is not as rigid as the original (with the collapsible part between the dash and foot plate). I feel the collapsible part of the column is still better than the original hardware that would not collapse at all. I am going to reinforce the mounting plate on the column to dash part, as I had to remove the third mounting hole part of the late late plate.

So far it seems to line up to the box OK.

http://www.vaxxine.com/tomspage/steeringbox1.jpg

I had planned on getting the heim joint clutch cable and thought I could modify the original arm to accept the bolt to put this on (don't tell me it won't work until I do it 8-)

Thanks to Seth, Craig, Bob and all others for the help. Quite a learning process. Still a year away from driving, but I am working away (I may even be down before the Group Red page gets updated!)

Tom Wright
St.Catharines
www.vaxxine.com/tomspage
Corsa Ontario