<VV> Variable valve timing Corvair - Corliss Orville Burandt.

Mark Noakes mark at noakes.com
Sat Apr 30 09:42:31 EDT 2005

I'd like to know details of his conversion.

Is there any way that the Communique could run a story on his system?

It's a shame that the guy got ripped off via "the system", but this is more common than not.  Tesla invented the whole concept of our AC power distribution system, but he basically gave it all away to Westinghouse because he didn't know how to deal with the business world.  He was likewise a genius but also a penniless mess when he died.  Burandt is right; the whole modern patent system and business world makes it hard for the small inventor to succeed, especially the eccentric ones.

It's interesting that the variable valve timing technology was first worked out on a Corvair.  I remember as an EE working for the ME engines lab at Tenn Tech that there were several people working on variable valve timing projects in the mid 70s...but they only got as far as a Briggs and Stratton test engine with a custom head...typical university project with little to no cash for hardware, and they weren't even thinking about filing for patents.

Mark Noakes