<VV> 140 vs 180

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Mon Aug 1 12:49:06 EDT 2005

Ah, Stephen, the posts that HUGE threads start with...

Long Story Short...

	IMHO... Fix a price in your head, choice of coupe/cvt, re-build
or ready to show, and look at the best of both types.  Each has their
plusses ands minuses...  Look for a COMPLETE RUNNING car that will pass
inspection.   It's what I did, no regrets.

JED

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Upham
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 12:29 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: <VV> 140 vs 180

I've been looking for a sports Corvair to add to the stable while I'm
working on rebuilding the engine on the '65 sedan.  I want to know what
the group thinks about the advantages and disadvantages of owning a 180
vs a 140.  For example, dropping valve seats, ease of tune-up, low speed
horse power (heard the 180 can be anemic until the boost kicks in
  :( , ect.    I've seen 140's with a  single carburetor located over
the blower.  How well do these work, and are there any performance gains
in hp or significant loss of mpg.

Musing while I await my rebuild replacement cylinders, rings, lifters,
and gaskets.

Stephen Upham