<VV> Gas overflow

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Aug 1 16:47:58 EDT 2005

At 01:07 hours 07/30/2005, UltraMonzaWest at aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 7/30/05 1:00:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>dougmackintosh at yahoo.com writes:
>

> > I just went outside and saw a puddle of gasoline under my '62 daily driver
> > just behind the front wheel.  It was dribbling out of the drain
> tube from the
> > gas door pocket.  I opened the gas door and removed the gas cap
> and gasoline
> > ran out until it was level with the top of the filler.  I replaced the cap
> > and left it a few minutes, then observed that it was still
> dribbling (less)
> > and again removed the cap and had it run out.  What would cause
> this?  I've
> > never had this happen before!
> >
> > Thanks

>1  You obviously overfilled the tank this AM?? [cool]
>
>2   The Corvair Gas cap is Vented...
>
>3   The "drain"  goes to your rocker panels..just like water...

Not to nit pick but the drain hose on earlies runs down the inside of
the wheel well lip and from there onto the ground.    Good
thing...  not sure I'd want gasoline in my rockers.   I just recently
replaced an original cracked overflow drain tube with a new one along
with the retaining clips.

>4  Don't worry...be happy.....don't smoke! ggg  drive it!

Already don't smoke...  ;)

Every time I fill a Vair in the morning (rare event, admitted) and it
gets parked on the hot streets shortly after, I can depend on a tank
"boil-over" and fuel dribbling onto the ground.

tony..