<VV> Portland Photos Volume 3

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Aug 1 17:37:35 EDT 2005

At 09:08 hours 07/31/2005, Ron wrote:
>Well, this isn't one of those puny Eastern rivers, this is the West.
>RonH
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "J R Read_HML" <hmlinc at sbcglobal.net>

Then again, those "puny eastern  rivers" tend to be wide enough to
make it hard to see the other bank when you get to the tidewater
region of the stream...  check out the James River in VA, which gets
to be big enough to support the Atlantic fleet, and the James River
never leaves the state.     20 minute ferry ride to cross it, and
that's not the widest part.    Got photos of a Vair on the ferry,
taking a ride, from the Jamestown side of the river, taken on the way
to/from the VA Vair Fair at Ft Monroe, interesting place.   Big
river.    Tidewater people can talk about it a lot better than
me.   My stretch of the James where it cuts through the Blue Ridge
mountains is only about 300-400 ft wide, but it's got nice smallmouth bass.

However, I don't think it has rises and falls from tides like the
Columbia...  ;)

tony..       likes VA rivers but would have also liked to have seen
the Columbia, will see the Niagara next year