<VV> Portland

Western Canada CORSA westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 1 16:30:50 EDT 2005

Funny Ron, but your comments echoed the points that came up for discussion
on our trip home.  This was our first convention so we're viewing this
through a singular experience.

We all felt the overall organization was top notch, and this was echoed in
comments from other CORSA "lifers" that have many, many conventions under
their belt.

I'm also sure that with over 30+ years of experience doing conventions that
there are good reasons for why things are done the way they are. I'm curious
to know what they are, so if somebody out there can shed some light on these
reasons as they pertain to my comments, I'd love to hear them.

The boyz echo Ron's comments here, "Why is the Show & Shine held on
Wednesday, instead of Saturday?"

Would it be possible to provide a "Corvair Only" area in the parking lot.
While we recognize that some folks would still want to park closer to their
hotel rooms, and that nightly security (WCC did Friday night btw) would
still be required to monitor the entire area, a designated area would have
been an added measure of comfort for some owners, as I would much rather
park next to a fellow 'vair owner than some beat up old F*** Tempo.  Did
anybody notice the group of Porsches parked side by side at the far end of
the lot?

Going into the Banquet we were bracing for a long night, based on comments
from the "lifers", and we were surprised at the rapid fire pace it was
conducted at.  Apparently the goal was to have it done in 3 hours, and they
hit it right on the money, it's just that we would have liked some more time
to see and acknowledge who was winning the award, which wasn't possible
under the format used.

Ron, your idea of a dance or BBQ for Friday night was also echoed in our
conversations.

And now a little on my experience....

The Corvair College Session with  Tom Keosababian and Gary Robinson was
absolutely fascinating.  Some of Gary's comments were especially
enlightening.  That Tom's car had to be pushing 500+ horsepower to acheive
that number absolutely floored me.  Even more shocking was when Tom
described his engine, saying that he used STOCK Rods, a STOCK Crankshaft,
STOCK exhaust downtubes and STOCK logs?!!!  Even more amazing yet was that
his second return pass on his record making Bonneville run was essentially
on three cylinders when he lost one side of the engine going into the
measured mile at 180mph, emerging at 160mph at the other end.  Both drivers
described the LM body style as extremely stable at these speeds.  Gary
Robinson (now an aerodynamicist) saying that he felt he could have taken his
hands off the wheel in his naturally aspirated 150+mph 'vair and it would
have kept on tracking straight.  Gary also had some interesting comments on
the Corvair cooling fan, I don't recall all of it as precisely as I would
like, but I gathered that he felt that for their high speed runs that the
fan essentially acted like a flywheel, not necessairly killing horsepower,
but delaying it being delivered to the wheels.

We stayed in Jantzen Beach Campground and were surrounded by Ultra's and
other Corvair enthusiasts camping for the week.  Right next door was a great
lady named Helen that had driven all the way from Virgina Beach with her '64
Wagon and a matching Bowler Camper.  How she didn't take home the Long
Distance Award is beyond me.  The winner was from Norfolk, VA?!?! Mapquest
shows that distance from Norfolk as 3005miles, and Virgina Beach as
3019miles.  Oh yeah, Helen's husband.... some guy named Smitty.  Yeah!  We
were camped next to Smitty!!!  And BTW - Smitty and Helen celebrated their
50th enroute to the convention, and that trumps any Long Distance award!

Shawn, James, Mike and Cara arrived at around 5:30am on Wednesday having
driven all night in time to make it for the Show & Shine.  We went straight
into clean up/dress up to get Shawn's heavily customized Rampside and Mike's
Westbrier ready for People's Choice.  The response to the three FC's (I
entered the Scamper, mostly because it had an icebox for bevies and a place
to sleep for the very tired members of the crew) was fantastic!   Folks
really enjoyed all the neat things that have been done to Shawn and Mike's
FCs.  And it showed in the People's Choice Awards, as both 'vairs placed in
the Top Three in their respective classes!

Thursday morning Rob and I went in for the Rally Driver/Navigator meeting in
his '66 Corsa 'vert.  They were talking about "touring" and the
"competitive" classes, and I asked Rob which we were going to do, his answer
was "Touring" because his odo wasn't working.  I figured we wouldn't be
doing either without an odo so I raced back to the campsite to get the
Scamper while Rob finished the meeting.  I was in the process of getting the
Scamper ready for the road, quick and dirty, when Mike poked his head in,
asking what was going on.  I explained my delima and he offered up either
the "Westbrier" or the GPS unit we used on the trip back from Yuma with the
Scamper.  I opted for the GPS and the 'vert, and while I was at it, Mike and
Cara decided to come along for the ride.  What a great decision that was.
Rob driving, myself concentrating on navigating and Mike and Cara in the
back working on the clues, combined for a First Place in the Touring Class
at the Rally (Competitive was reserved for those 'vairs going for the Ed
Cole Award).

I sure wish I'd brought the necessary accessories to take out the camper
from the Rampy, I would have had a great shot at the Economy Run.  As it was
Bob Mucutcheon in his '66 140/PG coupe took home a 2nd place in his class,
and if he hadn't been doing 80-85 on the highway on the last leg, he might
have scooped up 1st!

I could go on, and on.  But I hope you get the gist of this.  We had a great
time!  And seeing as it's been 23 years since it has been this close to
Victoria, we'll probably be giving Smitty a run for his money for that Long
Distance Award the next time around!

Congrats to the organizers, you guys put on a first class event, you should
be very, very proud of what you accomplished!

Regards,
Joel