<VV>Fanz, and how they work

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Mon Aug 1 20:59:29 EDT 2005

If the fan can be powered with 1 horsepower rather than 15 or more, I'd say
that is a better system than the original (assuming equal or better
cooling). With advances in both motor and blade technology, I CAN imagine an
engineering option for this function that might not have been available, at
least for mass production, in 1965. However, you could also power a Corvair
with a Wankel (rotary) engine. That would save a lot of weight and space.
     Personally, I very much doubt the two 90-degree turns the belt must
take (plus twisting) to go around the corner of the engine actually consume
much power. No doubt, this can be calculated, but not by me, who has neither
the data nor knowledge of the applicable formulas.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C