<VV> Stock wheels or not???

Kirby Smith kirbyasmith at gwi.net
Mon Aug 1 23:30:15 EDT 2005

In the late 60s, driving my 1966 Corvair, two people on different
occasions walking in the middle of the r.h. lane at night were saved by
my using rain race tires instead of OEM tires, because I could maneuver
abruptly.  Whether suicidal or drunk, the saved pedestrians may have
been short lived, but I didn't have to tangle with the consequences of
hitting them.

Considering the number of vehicles these days that flip, or otherwise
demonstrate incompetent maneuverability, I would recommend the best
tires you can get.  And that excludes long life tires, as they use hard
rubber and provide poor traction, expecially when wet.  Tires based on
race designs, but with rubber having a lower glass transition
temperature, are preferred.  And the tread should be designed to provide
the best possible high speed performance in standing water by throwing
the water to the sides.  Go to the Tire Rack web site and look up
Bridgestone SO-2s, if they still have them listed, for an example, or
one of the other so-called maximum performance tires.

The 60s version of Firestone rain race tires, with only 5/32 tread when
new, lasted as long (12 kmiles) to 2/32 as the Firestone Wide Ovals I
tried replacing the OEM tires with, even though the Wide Ovals started
with 11/32.  This was due to minimal tread squirm.  The stiff sidewalls
and reverse moulding made the tires move with the wheels, instead of in
some offset plane that the 700-13s managed.  And they were always better
than either in the rain!  I even tested one to blowout, and due to the
stiff sidewall and reverse moulding the event was uneventful.

I appreciate the desire to have authenticity, and parade in OEM form,
but if you want to drive with spirit, or even safely at the higher end
of the speed limit environments, get the best tires you can, with the
improved sidewall stiffness that results from using low profile tires.

kirby