<VV> Convention Parking Experience

Dave Keillor dkeillor at ultrex.com
Tue Aug 2 09:20:08 EDT 2005

Call me a traitor, but I attended the National Nova convention in Cedar
Rapids, IA instead of the International CORSA convention in Portland, OR
(175 miles versus 1850 miles).  Compared to a CORSA convention, some things
were better and some were not.  The one thing that did stand out was the
parking arrangements.

At the Nova convention a Nova-only parking area was roped off and monitored
during the day by volunteers from the local chapter with paid security at
night.  Each Nova was assigned a parking space at registration and spaces
were grouped by year.  Spaces were designated by a number written on a piece
of duct tape stuck to the tarmac -- simple but effective.

The result was better security for the cars and an opportunity for people to
view the cars at their leisure.  I realize that a Yenko Duece or a Gibb COPO
is worth a lot of money, but my '66 Corvair convertible is worth more than
my '73 Nova.  I really appreciated the security at night and not having my
car mixed in with those of hotel guests.  The presence or absence of the
latter will be a major criteria in future convention attendance.

Dave Keillor