<VV> Stock wheels or not???

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Tue Aug 2 10:20:37 EDT 2005

The changes you describe aren't just in the RATINGS or even just
width/aspect ratio of the tire - the changes are in the WHEEL (rim) size,
which I suspect is most important.
     And my own experience backs you up as far as my own driving style can
allow: I changed from 13 to 14 primarily for size availability, and as I've
reported many times on this forum, I experienced GREAT improvements above
50mph in switching from Firestone 205/70R13s to Dunlop 195/70R14s.
     So I have no argument, or even suggestion of it, where it comes to
uprating (increasing) the WHEEL size. Best thing I even did for my Corvair's
performance, and no perceptible loss of comfort, either.
     Now, here's the story on the RATINGS of the tires in this tale. The
13-inch tires would appear to have NO suffix. (No rating? Does that mean the
tires are old, which they aren't, or is no rating a "rating"?) The 14-inch
tires have a 90S suffix, which I think is bottom of the heap, but still
better (?) than no rating. 195/70R14 90S

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C