<VV> Re/ A couple questions about my 1965 Corsa 180 Turbo Convt.

Jim Simpson simpsonj at bellatlantic.net
Tue Aug 2 21:12:07 EDT 2005

As another poster has already said, between 300 and 400 degrees F cylinder
temps are about normal.  Since you are still breaking in a new engine, the
temps may actually be a little higher than normal -- as the engine wears
in, the temps were drop slightly.  On 70 - 75 degree days, I see ~325 on
the stock gage at highway speeds/flat roads.  Hot days, hills, etc., it
creeps up toward the 375 mark.  I'm not sure I've ever seen it hit 400
except under exceptional circumstances -- heavy foot going up hills, etc.

Normal boost for a stock turbo is about 20 inches of mercury (~10
psi).  I've instrumented my basically stock '66 Corsa turbo and measured
peaks of 11 psi.  Keep in mind that you'll only see the peak boost at the
higher end of third and midway through fourth gears.  First will run out
before you get much noticeable boost and second will get you ~ half way to
peak.

Finally, keep in mind the stock GM gages are only approximations -- what
can you expect out of a $0.50 device?  They're pretty good considering, but
if you are really interested in accurate data, you'll have to do something
different.  (I used a set of electronic sensors and an A/D converter with a
laptop to collect a set of baseline readings.  I was surprised at how close
the stock gages actually were.)

Jim Simpson, Group Corvair, '66 Corsa turbo