<VV> Stock wheels or not???

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Tue Aug 2 22:29:06 EDT 2005

Hi Joe,

I will flatly state that tire quality is *the* most important factor -
assuming the tires meet the minimum load capacity and fit on the rim.
If we could get really good tires in a 205/70-13, that would have
easily been my first suggestion in this thread.  I have directly
compared "zoom zoom" looking tires in 50 series on fat wheels to very
stock looking 70 series tires on stock wheels that were good where it
counted, and it was no contest in any measure (rain, shine, snow, ride,
handling, you name it).

The huge advantage of the speed rated tires isn't that you'll ever
drive that speed, it's the quality and engineering that has to go into
a tire that will withstand the TUV tests.  For a daily driver, an H
rated tire is usually a nice compromise between ride and handling.
Your S tires are still a good step up from "no-rating" tires, and I'd
be really surprised if there was that much difference between the 13
and 14 inch versions - of course, if one could find them.

--Bryan