<VV> Clutch pivot ball

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 13:49:14 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/22/2005 10:39:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
NicolCS at aol.com writes:

Several  people have pointed out that flat finger clutches and bent finger
clutches had different length pivot balls originally and that this
information
is in the tech guide.  That's fine and I don't  dispute  it.  What I said was
based on my personal experience -  I've put together  every combination
without
regard to the pivot ball  and I don't recall any issue,  plus I have never
changed any pivot  ball for any reason.  GM lists  only one for all models
(in both
my '67 and '73 parts book), though sometimes  they offer replacement  parts
that are less specific than the original parts when  the  replacement part
works
reasonably well. (Witness the '64 rear air   grill)
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances!
Craig  Nicol

The Chevrolet  Instruction sheet for the ball stud P/N 3850567  (enclosed
with the ball stud) states:

When using this unit on models equipped with the bent finger diaphram  spring
type clutch, discard P/N 3850568 Washer (.085 thick).
When using on all other models, discard the Lockwasher Part 138549 and  use
Part 3850567 Washer (furnished in unit).

REV: 2-13-67

Enjoy - Seth