<VV> gas tank sender question (All corvair content for a change)

kovacsmj kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 3 15:07:50 EDT 2005

 I had a problem with the fuel level sender on my '66. The needle barely
rose above the E mark even with 4-5 gallons in the tank. I pulled the
sender out and "bench tested" it under the car. It made a full swing of
the needle in the car every time. I also did the same test on two other
used senders and a NOS one. All had the needle do a full swing from E to
F and back.

 Reinstalling the original sender, adding 4-5 gallons, only produced the
same poor result, barely above the E mark!   Does any one have a clue as
to the problem? The Ohm meter read very similar results for the NOS one,
the one originally removed from the car and the spares, but I did not
feel like cycling 4-5 gallons 4 times to get a bunch of data points to
see what would work. I installed the NOS one and all appears to be well.

 At close to $70 each for NORS ones, is there anybody out there that can
rebuild/recalibrate the units?? Does anyone have the basic Ohm readings
for the E and F readings?

 "Bench testing" under the car?  OK, I hooked the + terminal up to car
harness + wire and then grounded the unit. Then with the ignition switch
on, observe the gas gauge at full, intermediate and empty float heights.
This requires moving under the car and out 5 times for each float
position unless your assistant crew chief is available!

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS