<VV> gas tank sender question

UltraMonzaWest at aol.com UltraMonzaWest at aol.com
Wed Aug 3 15:38:20 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/3/2005 12:16:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net writes:

> I had a problem with the fuel level sender on my '66. The needle barely
> rose above the E mark even with 4-5 gallons in the tank. I pulled the
> sender out and "bench tested" it under the car. It made a full swing of
> the needle in the car every time. I also did the same test on two other
> used senders and a NOS one. All had the needle do a full swing from E to
> F and back.

************

We discussed this a few months ago.  Check the V V Archives.  You're a long
time member.....should have them bookmarked!  gggg

http://www.vv.corvair.org/pipermail/virtualvairs/

1  the tank is 14 gallons......GM  left a "safety margin"...approx. 3-5 gal.,
so most would never actually run out of gas....

2  the  float ARM  needs to be BENT  so that the rod hits the TANG  on the
sender at the same time the float hits the bottom!

This allows 400 mile per tank runs!....and REALLY  being out of fuel when it
finally reads empty!

Matt Nall / Patiomatt / WCUH / Mr. DeckRug