<VV> gas tank sender question

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 3 17:00:06 EDT 2005

Chuck,

I installed an NOS sender not long ago because I was tired of seeing the
needle over by the temp/pres light for the first 40 or so miles from the old
sending unit.  The gauge now reads about 1/2 needle width below F when
filled (really filled) and when it hits E, 10 gallons fills it, which means
there is still 4 gallons in the tank.  I DO sometimes drive on that last 4
gallons - figuring that I have AT LEAST 60 miles left in the tank once it
hits E.

To find out if you are REALLY out of gas when driving on E (besides the
engine quitting), make some side to side motions with the steering wheel and
see if the needle moves.  If it bounces, you are still OK.  If it does not,
better find gas SOON!

Later, JR