<VV> Another tool for your Corvair toolbox

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Aug 4 11:04:35 EDT 2005

There are several places on the Corvair motor and transaxle where  bolts or
nuts can back off or gaskets can compress in time and leaks can occur.  Two
good examples are the Trans to Diff bolts and, of course, the valve cover  bolts.
In many years of racing, I have cross-drilled the heads of some bolts and
nuts to allow a proper safety wire installation. A proper safety wire
installation retains the torque on an already-torqued fastener - the wire, when
tensioned, pulls the head or nut in a tightening direction. (For complete  coverage
of this subject, see "Prepare to Win" by Carroll Smith).  The  reason for this
post is a new Harbor Freight catalog has Safety Wire  Twister pliers for
under $5. I have had Safety Wire pliers and a coil of  the deformable wire in my
tool box for 25 years. If you don't, this looks like a  good time to add it!
Harbor Freight item number is 45340-3AKB  - $4.49  -  Since I already have a
good one, I will probably not get a second, but I  am sure a few other items in
this catalog will find there way into my garage. If  you have a Corvair-powered
race car, make sure your valve covers will never leak  by changing out to
short 1/4-20 studs and tall cross-drilled nuts, safety wired  tight.

- Seth Emerson