<VV> RE: Running engine

Cliff Tibbitts tibbitts at qx.net
Fri Aug 5 15:09:08 EDT 2005

> Personal Opinion Here:
>
> Do your FAMILY a favor!    Spend time with them!   Go to Corvair meets
> with
> $$$ that you've SAVED UP!.......some day that perfect deal will pop up!
> Garages all over the world are filled with  LONG TERM PROJECTS [ JUNK ]
> Your
> family will grow  up before you know it!

Ian, I doubt you are interested in one more opinion.  I was in your shoes a
year ago.  I wanted to buy a driver when the CORSA convention was here in
Lexington, but decided on a "Project Car" instead.  I ended up with a '66'
Monza with a decent body and interior, but no engine to speak of.  I got the
block/crank/cam with 30K on them.  Also boxes and boxes of parts.  To date,
I have invested close to $3000.00 in the engine and missing parts, and the
car still sits on jack stands in the garage.  If I had to do it over, I
would have held out from a running driver in decent shape.  Granted, you
will likely sink a lot of cash into the driver as well, but at least you
would be driving it.  And the outlay would be over a longer period of time.

These guys are right, and I wish I had listened to this kind of advice a
year ago.  Good used parts are getting harder to find all the time.  But, if
you like a project, then go for it.  They're out there.

Cliff Tibbitts
'66' Monza 140/4sp, (sort of)