<VV> celebrity owned Corvairs

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Fri Aug 5 15:29:08 EDT 2005

The Corvair Elvis bought Priscilla as a high school graduation present was a
'63 Monza coupe, red on red.  There's a famous picture of her posing in the
driver's seat seemingly unable to get her big hair in the car.  I wrote several
years ago to the Tennessee DMV (back in the days when they'd release info. to
the general public) and they reported that the car had not been registered for
several years.  I'd guess it had been long since junked.  After Priscilla
tired of it, I understand it was driven into the ground by Elvis's peeps--that
"mafia" contingent of hangers-on that were the habitues of Graceland.

Some time ago a Corvair appeared on eBay purported to have belonged to Sheryl
Crow.  It was an early convertible--a '64, I think.

Rudy Giuliani was said to have owned a late convertible.

Disgraced (adultery) former West Virginia governor, Bob Wise, had a late
convertible.

Bob Lutz's first car was a '62 Monza.

There was a contemporary car enthusiast magazine article about a famous race
car driver and his brand-new '62 Monza with Spyder equipment.  I think that
was a convertible.  His name escapes me but I'm sure any one of a number of you
can provide it.

And speaking of celebrity cars (but not Corvairs) back when I lived in
Pittsburgh I saw Mr. Rodgers at the gas station one day (Pittsburgh was, afterall,
his "neighborhood").  He was driving a Chevy Celebrity!  I always got a kick
outta that!

Bill Stanley