<VV> Rocket Scientists

Rad Davis rad.davis at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 6 00:00:27 EDT 2005

At 09:05 PM 8/5/2005 -0400, Padgett wrote:

>What this means is that the fan and shroud for this century would be of
>composite material have a much different appearance, and would move enough
>cooling air with an energy budget of around 2 hp. Further the vents behind
>the rear window would be gone because that is a low pressure area (would
>be interesting to instrument the engine compartment above the shroud at 70
>mph - anyone ever do that ?) Instead the engine would probably be a bottom
>breather and use baffles to create a high pressure area at the fan inlet
>and a low pressure area under the engine.

Yes, I have done that.  Turns out that the air intake vents are just about
perfectly placed on the late coupe.  Can't speak to the late sedan.  If you
go zipping down the road at 60 MPH, you have a considerable positive
pressure in the compartment above the fan.  If you then measure the delta-p
against the exhaust grille area, you get even better.  The Kamm tail does a
pretty good job of making a low pressure area back there.  Of course,
ducting air from the nose of the car would work better, but I suspect that
GM found it problematic to have a 10 " dia duct running from the nose,
through the trunk and passenger compartment into the engine bay.

It's fairly well documented that GM put the late car body in the wind
tunnel.  It's obvious that they looked at cooling flow as well as
crosswinds and drag coefficient.

I also have some visual data from my own '65 coupe:  I drove it to work
year-round in North Carolina for about five years.  My commute was mostly
interstate and the car was parked outside.  Cruising speed was 60-70
mph.  Since this was NC, there was usually a thick layer of dew on the car
in the morning when I walked out to it.  I'd start the car, run the wipers
one stroke to clear the windshield, then carefully back out of my spot and
drive to work.  As you might expect, the warm air of the rush-hour
interstate dried the car off nicely by the time I got to work.  Now for the
observation:  The first parts of the backlight to clear were two
longitudinal patches in line with the air intake grilles.  It was as
reliable as the carburetor icing that I'd get on the long climb uphill to
the interstate with a cold engine during the fall.  It would seem that the
angle of the backlight is gentle enough on late coupes, at least, to
prevent boundary layer separation.  So much for GM not knowing where to put
the air intake grilles...

Similarly, ask any Corsa convertible owner what happens to head temperature
when s/he puts the top down and hits the interstate...

>The current design tries to do this by positioning the air exit at the
>rear where the underbody airflow will provide an assist. That the engine
>cools better with the lower shroud removed says this thinking was faulty.

I disagree again.  The reason the engine cools better with the lower
shrouds removed is because of the proximity of the red-hot exhaust manifold
to the heads.  Black body radiation is a very real concern when the exhaust
manifold is 1/2" from the head.  Anything you can do to cool the manifolds
off will cool the heads, and exposure to 70 MPH ambient air certainly
qualifies.  Further, the lower shrouds do reduce total airflow over the
engine, which would obviously raise head temperature as well.  GM needed
the bottom of the engine to stay fairly hot in order to provide heat and
defrost once the gasoline heater became optional.  Likewise, it's pretty
clear that they decided that normal operating head temps below 475 F were
acceptable, so who cared if the heads were at 450 instead of 400?

>So the engineers in Detroit, Tonowanda, and Waterford in the 60's were
>doing the very best they could given the constraints they were working
>under. However even a decade later at GMI I was able to get all of the
>computer time on the 360 mainframe I wanted because few others were using
>it. Nothing like a mainframe for brute force calculations of all possible
>ratios for a THM-400 or simulating over 1 gee excursions with a B/P
>Corvette, somthing we can do on a PC in seconds now but took overnight
>then (and one of the first things a programmer learned, after the proper
>use of a magic marker, was how to increase priority and get unlimited
>runtime). Have forgotten JCL three times now and hope it stays that way.

I'll agree that a lot of the Corvair was designed to minimum cost or rule
of thumb.  The post-1961 fan design is obviously deficient.  There's
cardboard all over the car.  the early direct-air heat is almost as bad as
a VW beetle's.  GM wouldn't spring for Viton O-rings.  Late shfiter tube
bushings were cheesy plastic that broke all too quickly.  Having said that,
rule of thumb via iterative testing works fine if you have enough
iterations.  Likewise, with a maximum design lifespan of 10 years or 100 K
miles, who cares if the alternator bearings seize at 120 K?

The simple fact that they started off with 80 HP Corvairs and ended up
building 180 HP Corvairs with a bolt-on third-party turbo and needed no
major design changes other than materials upgrades and 17% more
displacement to do so points out that the original design was not exactly
on the hairy edge of practicality.  Was it optimal?  No.  I'm certain that
a Corvair built to 1960s aerospace specifications under government contract
would have been an amazing car.  Of course, it would have cost as much as a
T-38...

Having said that, I'd happily pay $200 for a properly designed composite
fan for my van.  I could certainly use more cooling and the ~10 HP I'd get
at 3500 RPM, and I suspect that fuel economy would improve as well.  It
would be a much lower priority for the 140 HP Corsa coupes.  They're
overcooled as delivered, so the only benefit would be the horsepower gain.