<VV> re: Peronsal Information License Plate

Tim Verthein minoxphotographer at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 06:53:25 EDT 2005

I suspect the answer is going to depend on the laws of your state.
Last I checked here in Minnesota the information could be had from the
DMV with a written request and payment of a fee. A driving record is
considered public information.

However....my experience has shown that it's pretty much impossible to
simply call up law enforcement, tell them someone messed with you, and
would you please go tow their car and revoke their license.  Imagine,
if you could actually DO that how many thousands of calls a police
department would get in a day from torqued off boyfriends, spouses, and
just plain jerks who would be calling them.  If you have actually done
something illegal, they would be invited to file a complaint that would
get checked out just like any other. I would venture to say, that after
the fact, no one can simply call and "have your car towed".  That's
just not how it works. Imagine, if you could just call and say "This
guy cut me off in traffic, please go revoke his license".  That's NOT
how it goes.  Even if he *could* do that, there would still be due
process and legal issues to go thru, probably involving court, or at
least an appearance before a judge.  No jurisdiction that I'm aware can
or would revoke a license based on some guys phone call.  Unless of
course, you were caught in the backseat of your Corvair with the
Govenors wife!

Had you done something illegal? Something you would have been ticketed
for?  It would have to have been something that would have warranted
towing and revocation, which other than being a drunk driver leaves few
other choices. Was this cat a hot head who probably went home and
cooled off?  I'd feel safe that he's going to get nowhere. However, if
he was really mad for some reason...the kind of mad that dosen't go
away overnight, I'd have a concern that he could indeed get your
address and take matters into his own hands. I would be more concerned
about that than any police action.  As I mentioned, depending on your
state laws, he could get that info, or if he knows anyone in law
enforcement.  I wanted to find out the title holder for a car we bought
once, and a friend in the Sheriffs department ran the last plate number
(from many years ago) and came up with the VIN and current title holder
of the car.

Heck, call you local police department and ask them. Tell 'em what
happened. OK, if you're someplace BIG like LA or Chicago, they won't
want to bother talking to you but if you're in small town USA like me,
they'll be glad to help you.

Tim in Bovey

 "I have a feeling I'm going to look dumb but here goes:

 Can you look up personal info by a vehicle license plate? I got into
an altercation with someone tonite and he took down my plate number.
There was nothing physical or collision involved. He said he was going
have my license revoked permantely and have my car towed and said I
didn't know who I was messing with. My wife is all upset and scared.
Any
comments?

                   Lloyd"

===
You *can* repair a flip-flop with a capacitor!
===