<VV> engine pull questions - 64 monza

John Headley robedinpurple at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 7 17:38:52 EDT 2005

Hi all,

I'm swapping out my very oil burning engine for an
"ultra" engine from Pete Koehler in my 64 monza.  Got
most of the disassembly done today, with a few things
left before the actual pull.  I have a few questions.

Do you have to pull the whole powertrain to swap an
engine only, or can you get the engine out by itself?

I assume that either way, the transverse leaf spring
needs to come out for this, but the castle nuts just
spin the bolts they are attached to, and I don't see
any access to the tops of those bolts.  How do I deal
with this?

I made big progress, top end stuff and much of the
bottom end stuff is off.  Whoever designed the
generator mounting should be shot.  Have to pull the
pulley to get the bolts, and even then the pulley
can't come off because the oil sender is in the way,
and can't get the sender out because the pulley is in
the way.  Thought about pulling the whole aluminum
adapter setup for the oil filter and such, but can't
get all those bolts because stuff is in the way.
Nice.  It's stuff like that that makes me ashamed to
be an auto engineer.  I ended up removing the pulley
nut, and getting enough access to get the bolt out one
turn at a time, but I have NO idea how it will go back
together.

-John Headley
64 monza convert
Royal Oak, MI