<VV> engine pull questions - 64 monza

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Sun Aug 7 18:07:40 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/7/05 2:39:27 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
robedinpurple at yahoo.com writes:

> Do you have to pull the whole powertrain to swap an
> engine only, or can you get the engine out by itself?

Hi John,
People do it both ways. If it's a PG, then pulling just the engine may be
easiest. But for a MT, and if you are not familiar, then pulling the whole power
train is really easiest (maybe safest). Here is the problem. when removing
just the engine, it is VERY easy. I mean VERY VERY easy to have the engine
(typically the PP fingers) hit the easily fractured shaft that the T/O bearing rides
on. Even a slight contact may be enough to fracture this shaft. And if you
avoid hitting this shaft when removing the engine, then you will get another
opportunity to hit the shaft when you reinstall the engine. Once fractured, this
shaft will then proceed to leak dif lube onto your clutch disc requiring you
to not only do the clutch replacement, but WORSE, have to completely
disassemble the dif to replace this shaft. So avoid hittling this shaft at all costs. By
removing the whole power train as a unit, you will be able to avoid hitting
this shaft by doing the separation and reassemble on the ground.

I hope that this helps
Regards,
Bob Helt