<VV> Chicago Tribune CORSA Convention Story

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Mon Aug 8 08:38:20 EDT 2005

> > 1964:  Chevy upgrades the Corvair suspension. An additional transverse leaf
> > spring  couples the rear wheels to reduce the car's tendency to
> lose  traction suddenly.

Well Chevrolet did add a "camber compensator" in respose to the jacking
problem. Unlikely to happen on ice though as it took a certain amount of
traction. Is an inherent problem with a single universal joint axle and was
solved by going to the dual universal joint system first used by the '63
Corvette.

Until then the answer was simply to limit the travel of the suspension. My
memory was not of the Corvair but of a road test (believe it was in MI by
Uncle Tom) of a  rope-drive Tempest under hard braking with both rear
wheels off the ground and an interesting camber change.

Padgett