<VV> RE: Communique article rejections

Harry Jensen, CORSA Executive Secretary corsa at corvair.org
Tue Aug 9 09:57:46 EDT 2005

Hi--

<snip on the items we agree on>

At 09:26 PM 8/8/2005, Jim Burkhard wrote:
>Heh heh... It sounds to me like maybe you were being a bit politic,
>substituting the word "technical" in place of "illiterate".

Well, maybe. Since Mike and I both have technical backgrounds, we both
understand what people are trying to say. And while our aim is to retain
"author style," we are here to help people who make submissions with their
articles... to help their articles be more appealing to more people.

Harry wrote:
> > [Jim,] you say: "Certainly your comments support the prevailing wisdom is
>that anything "overly technical" doesn't get
> > published." But my post says nothing of the kind.
And Jim replied:
>I wrote that quote you cite because of my interpretation of your words: "I
>know of one in which the article was sent back to the author requesting
>changes to make it less technical to make it more interesting to a greater
>percentage of our membership". Did this sentence NOT mean that the article
>was sent back to the author for dumbing down because it was too technical?

Let me use an example: In the past, we've had submissions with mind numbing
lists of modifications done to a person's Corvair. The one I have in mind
was a feature article, not a tech article. We asked the author to supply a
little more "hows and whys" to the list of modifications.

I can present the same data in different ways; extract facts and figures
and insert them into a table which makes them more readable and more
useful. I can make an article less technical by including more photos and
text to the article and make it more interesting to more people.

Does that help?

--H