<VV> RE: Communique article rejection about using Corvair site

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Aug 9 11:32:14 EDT 2005

Harry Et.Al.

Whilst I believe it is great to have a couple of scanned pages of the CBM on the website for people to look at,

I would politely disagree with Rick.

Regardless of age, people who want to become involved in the old car hobby---be it Corvairs, or whatever car really makes no difference....

If you don't have any money to spend, it's not going to be much fun for you. Most young people aren't the 99% anally frugal types, many of which populate our forum. As our thread with Corvette/other high end owners showed last week, money is important regardless of the car that you choose to restore.

If you aren't ready to buy a shop manual, assembly manual, a "corvair for newbies" book like the CBM, how will you ever afford paint, body, interior, and major mechanical work?? Even if the youngster/newbie is mechanically trained to a level where they can do everything themselves, parts aren't cheap---even used in many instances.

That being said, an outlay of 80 dollars give or take 10, for manuals/books when a restoration might cost over 10K, doesn't seem like much. And in other makes/models, it's a lot more. If you don't have 20 dollars for the CBM, can you afford insurance and gas??

I spend my working hours on the phone with people just like us....folks restoring cars, shops restoring cars, glass shops, folks deciding on what car to restore.

I can assure you, a guy doing a Packard, or say, a 40's or 50's Cadillac doesn't even flinch at a 2000.00 tab just for rubber products. All they say is, "Is it all in stock?? and How fast can I get it here??. "

Dealing with these folks all day, it gripes me more than a little to have to listen to all the Corvair people who open their wallets, and a moth flies out. It's really tiring, it doesn't show a lot of class, in fact it shows none.

This doesn't mean throw your money away like a Sailor on liberty in the Phillipines, but I think most of you know what I am driving at.

If you want the information, in a book and a CD-ROM for 20 bucks, quit your whining and put out the 20, and be done with it. A full set of Shop/Chassis Manuals from Helm Publications (the GM Printer) for a Riviera is now over 200 bucks, and it doesn't have any of the well tried info that is in the CBM.

Or maybe you should just collect cookie jars, or some other such collectible.

Hank