<VV> Virtual Vairs and the Corvair People

Jim Houston tampatexan at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 10 14:17:04 EDT 2005

I got my first Corvair about 15 months ago.  This was my first
experience, not counting driving my Dad's '63 Monza to my Senior Prom (a
long time ago in a galaxy far, far away)..  Prior to that, I was into
Minis -- the older "Classic" minis, not the new ones.  I raced them in
England in the early '70s, restored a '64 Cooper 'S' from '74 to '84 and
then was out of the hobby until 2000 when I bought another mini.  I sold
it and bought a Corvair...  why??  Simply put - the attitude of the Mini
community today.  In spite of my extensive experience with minis, I was
talked down to as if I was a complete idiot.  I was repeatedly told by
owners of "New" Minis (BMW) that my Classic Mini was inferior to the new
ones.  There were no offers to assist with necessary maintenance or
modificatons (sometimes an extra hand helps) and unlike my previous
experiences, nobody even OFFERED a part for free or trade -- always had
a price (high, I might add) attached to it.  I lamented to Bill Elliott
(who has a Mini) that the hobby was no fun anymore, and he suggested
that I try the Corvair community.  I did some research, sold the Mini,
bought a Corvair and lo and behold !!  He was right.  The Corvair people
are friendly, generous and fun to be around.  No one has ever made me
feel that I shouldn't ask a question (I bought ALL the books I could
afford)..  In general, I am quite happy with the move.

PLEASE!!  PLEASE!!  DON'T CHANGE!!  All of the discussions this week
have sounded like the BMW Mini crowd --  yada yada yada!!  Stay the way
you guys have been..  as I gain experience with Corvairs, I hope to be
able to help owners that are even newer than I am.

Jim Houston
Brandon, FL
'65 Monza
'66 Monza (Group Red)