<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 7, Issue 137

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 12 11:55:54 EDT 2005

>He has a 1988 Fiero.  I need a Corvair that I know can kick his butt.

Depends on the Fiero. If a 4 cyl it is not too difficult, If a Formula
(faster than a GT) it will be difficult unless you can just outdrive
particularly since you mentioned autocrossing. 88 had the best suspension.
OTOH in stock form they understeer quite a bit (can be fixed)

Problem is that the Fiero is smaller than a Corvair so all things being
equal, is going to be faster through the gates. What you are going to need
to do is to design your car to be neutral to oversteering (CAUTION: there
is a reason an oversteering car is considered unstable, they can be very
difficult to drive and unforgiving if you make a mistake - shoot for
neutral if any question).

Also no question that a turbo is your best bet and necessary to overcome
140 hp /170 lb-ft torque NET not gross.

Of course the real question is whether it is going to be good for your
career to be faster than your boss ?

Padgett