<VV> Adding a backup electrical system

Bill Elliott Corvair at fnader.com
Fri Aug 12 12:00:21 EDT 2005

Very easy to do and I just did it on my Corvair-powered Westy.

Big deep cycle RV battery from Walmart, 10 gauge wiring (no starter load, just charging load), and a $30 dual battery switch/isolator made to let both
batteries charge via the alternator but isolate one from the other in demand.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/showCustom-0/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2006119/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2006119/Ntx-
mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=battery

I set up a power distribution system from this 2nd battery to support the stereo system, DC-powered cooler, and fans (no AC in my Westy!) without drawing
down the main battery.

I even added a 1200W Ac invertor which will run a microwave oven or or even a dual microwave/toaster oven from the battery alone. (This is connected
with 00 gauge wiring...)

The only issue is that the factory alternator seems to be working overtime to keep both batteries charged, so I'm upgrading to a higher amp unit ($29
AutoZone) per the guidance in the tech manual.

Bill Elliott