<VV> Mother Earth News

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Fri Aug 12 14:27:15 EDT 2005

I bumped into this on the web - I've been found-out!  It's from their
April/May 1994 issue.

"Speaking of rear engines, you might look at the Corvair, the '60-'69
rear-engine, midsize semisporty Chevrolet that Ralph Nader pilloried in his  book:
Unsafe At Any Speed. I've seen persuasive evidence that Nader fudged his  data
and that Corvairs were no worse than Ford Falcons or other small cars of  the
day. Ironically, Nader's success (he nailed GM again when they put private
eyes on him) curtailed Detroit's interest in selling America on "downsized" cars
 20 years before the Arab oil embargo forced them on us. A pity. A cult car
among  the Rush Limbaugh crowd, the Corvair is cute, sporty, and you'll only
pay $2,500  for a good hard top, $1,000 more for a convertible. A '66 Monza
Spyder ragtop  with the 140-hp engine is right perky, and a good #3/#4 goes for
$4,500. Get the  stickiest tires you can, put weight in the trunk to hold the
front wheels down,  and don't prove Ralph correct by taking curves too fast."

Prices are up not, but not all that much considering this article is 11
years-old.
Craig Nicol