<VV> Re: [fastvair] Wrapping turbo pipes

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Aug 12 17:44:52 EDT 2005

The issue isn't one of salt corrosion or moisture really... The basic
elcheapo mild steel metallurgy will not hold up to the temperature.  I
agree with Mike Mann. Coat the pipes, but do not wrap them (unless this
is an all-out track car where you are willing to replace pipes very
regularly).   The aluminization is worthless for protection for the
temperatures we are talking about!  Matt was spot on with regard to SS
exhaust.  If you want a super insulated exhaust to last, have it custom
made out of 300 series SS.

Jim Burkhard