<VV> Corvair vs. Fiero

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Fri Aug 12 12:44:42 EDT 2005

On Aug 12, 2005, at 10:49 AM, Tim Verthein wrote:

> Ok gang, my boss is a Fiero nut. He has a 1988 Fiero.  I need a
> Corvair that I know can kick his butt. My trusty '64 110 4 speed ain't
> bad...but as long as Ryan and I seem to be aquiring more
> Corvairs....what would be the most formidable comtetitor?  Do I *have*
> to have a late?  Do I have to have a turbo to get the job done?

For autocrossing, you really need the following to start with in a
Corvair:

  - Better driver
  - "SM" or "R" tires
  - Carbs that work in corners

For an early, I'd suggest lowering it to achieve slightly negative
camber in the rear.  If he really is that little of a car guy, then
your focus should be on driving.  Now, if you want to beat him
stoplight to stoplight then you'll need more power, but as Padgett
already pointed out, it might be best for your job to let him win some.

For some more detailed thoughts on the subject, you might look over the
Introductory pages on my website:

http://autoxer.skiblack.com/

--Bryan