<VV> 140 stalling

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Aug 13 02:14:10 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/12/2005 7:57:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gold1969corvair at yahoo.com writes:

Now,  when I noticed the car stalled, I found that it blew 4 fuses. When I
replaced  the fuses, and stepped on the brake pedal, I heared a sizzle, and the
fuse  blew again! I have purchased an NOS Column switch to replace my orginal
one. I  disconnected the original switch to keep from blowing fuses. Would the
switch  ca!
use the
low voltage to the coil, or what??
Thanks,
Karl
69  500 #5465
67 Monza

Karl - I think you just opened a can of worms. Good luck getting them  back
in!  First, I would try to return everything to original hook-ups.  Disconnect
the Fireball and put the points back in. Then trace your voltage both  while
running (assuming it will run at this point) and during cranking.  Remember,
the coil hot side should receive a full 12 (or whatever the battery  tests at)
minus a little bit for wire runs, during cranking, since the full  voltage
should be supplied via the starter solenoid. When the starter stops, and  the
engine runs, it should drop to about 9-10 volts. When the Crane is connected  and
it stalls, something is using up some of your voltage, likely something  is
grounding, then blowing a fuse. What wires does the Crane require and where  are
you hooking them up? People will have to know, in order to help. Remember,
the brake light circuits do go through the steering column, in order for the
brake light circuit to be interrupted and the turn signal power to flash them.
The problem could be in there. The 67-69 had the added complexity of the
four-way flashers built into the column. The column wiring shouldn't have any
effect on the coil voltage feed, as far as I know.

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette